Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Katie's Journey Chapter 1

Hi guys! This is my 1st chapter of Katie's Journey, and I hope you enjoy this too!  Just a heads up, I'm not quite finished with the 2nd chapter, but I'll try to post it soon! : )
Again... I REALLY want some criticism on this! So please feel free to say if anything doesn't sound right, or something doesn't add up in the story! Thanks!




Chapter 1  1618

                                                    A year and a half earlier....    

Katie Cross sat looking out the window in her bed room. Since her father died two years ago, she often sat there and talked to him about her days at school or how she wished she could see his face. She was deep in thought when she heard her mother’s voice,

Katie , we need to speak with you!’’

Coming! ’’ she answered.

When she got to the kitchen, her mother and her twin

brother, Jacob were sitting at the table.

Sit down, Katie.” Mother said.

All right“ Katie said curiously.

When she sat at the kitchen table, Mother took her hand.

What is it, Mother?”,
As you know, your aunt and uncle are going to the New World.” Mother stated as Katie nodded.

Well… I’ve decided that we will be going along.”

No!” Katie explained as she quickly stood up.

Katie dear, your father’s been gone for over two years now , and I can’t care for you and Jacob on my own.” Mother said gently.

I am not not going with you!” Katie shouted loudly as she ran up the stairs.

~

Katie was sobbing on her cot when, she heard Jacob’s gentle voice behind her.

“ Katie , are you all right?”

“ Go away! ”, she yelled as she sat up.

She instantly felt ashamed about speaking to her brother so disrespectfully.

“ What’s wrong? ” Jacob questioned her gently.

“ Nothing!”, She answered. “I just want to be alone! ”

Nothing’s the matter , Katie? If there’s nothing wrong, then why did you yell at Mother? You’ve never yelled at her before, Katie.” he stated more sternly.
                
You’d be frustrated with her too if she made you leave the only home you’ve

ever known!” Katie sobbed.

“ Don’t be so dramatic, Katie. Do you think I want to leave our home either? Mother is doing what she thinks Father would want for us if he were here!”

“ You don’t seem too upset about it. ” she answered as she folded her arms.

Katie, you’re acting like a child!”, Jacob almost yelled.

They had never fought like that before. Katie looked up at him with a sad, tear stained face and whispered,

Oh Jacob, I don’t want to leave Father.”

Then she started sobbing again and threw herself on a pillow. Jacob’s face softened as he sat next to her on the cot.

Knowing how hard Katie took their father’s death, he tried to calm her.

Katie, don’t cry.” he soothed her gently. “ Father wouldn’t want you to be vexed, now would he?”

Katie sat there as if she were pondering his words. Then she sat up and gave him a little smile.

No … I suppose he wouldn’t. Go tell Mother I’ll be down for supper, all right?”

Jacob nodded and smiled as he went to leave the room.

“         Jacob?” Katie said.

“      Yes?”

She sat there for a second then said to him,

“    Thank you.” she whispered.

Jacob nodded and then left the room.

Thank you for letting me share  my story! I hope you enjoyed it!!  Sorry the arrangment is kind of messed up!
 

2 comments:

Talia said...

Thanks for commenting on my blog! No, the play was not missoula:). Im in "alice in wonderland."

Hannah B. said...

Lovely! Can't wait for chapter 2!!!!